Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Overheard in SchoOl

Overheard in School by my other 9-year-old kiddos & more

The 9-year-old Matchmaker

9-year-old: Sir, right, you love reading books?

me: Yup. Why do you ask?

                           9-year-old: (gets excited, with glow in the eyes) I have a Tita who also loves reading books. You know, you can be soul mates! (ahem. future CEO sa dating.com)

Sir, are you an American?

7-year-old:(Boy raises hand in the middle of my Grade One Reading class.) Sir, excuse me…

me: Yes (insert name)?

7-year-old: Sir, are you an American?

me: (grins, presses own chin) No. Why do you want to know?

7-year-old: …because you speak like one.     

 (--NAX! during the first day of school)

 --cycle: motorcycle, unicycle, popsicle! 

me: Anybody else who can give me a word with the suffix –cycle?

9-year-old: (raises hands) …bicycle!

me: That’s right! Do I see another hand? Yes (insert name)? What do you have?

9-year-old: (thinks for a split-second, then blurts out an answer with conviction) POPSICLE!

(class laughs out loud)

me: (tries to be poker-faced) Nice try (insert name). What about another word…

 Goosebumps in my Stomach

teacher A: This is my first time to be in Card Day.

teacher B: I see.

teacher A:  I’m nervous…

teacher B:  Please don’t be. You know, even though if I’ve been doing this for so many years, I still have goose bumps in my stomach.

--overheard by me, seated tables away

One of the reasons why I won’t trade the Lower Elementary Grades for any other level.

Inspired by a website. From memory, I will start entries like this, in between classes.



10 comments:

  1. hahahaha. Listenning to them is fun.. following what they say --is definitely another one.:)

    they'll never make you feel older than your age.You'll forever be a 9 yo when you're w/ them,sir.

    ka alegre.:)

    and.Sir, how does a goosebump in the stomach look like? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. It's the verve!

    I had dinner with a former colleague over the weekend. She finished a BS Educ Degree (in her 20's) and BA Fine Arts (in her 30's), and at 40 (but looks like in her late 20's), she's enrolled this semester taking up BS Landscape Archi! She says, it's the flow of energy. (Her classmates are in their teens) The verve! And I agree. hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. juz lyk the story of Mary Angelou (the 80 yo who's still studying for a degree! )..

    Age is just a figure of speech ra lagi daw.. Check ka sa flow of energy--murag agimat.LOL.

    it is---the verve gyud! hahaha. nice Rv's.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! are you starting to miss teaching pinoy kids in a pinoy school? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually, yes. especially the smart aleck kiddos. hehe

    ReplyDelete