Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cambodia







The Road (and lowdown) to Cambodia

After a 10-hour bus ride (USD18.00; 5 hours Saigon-Phnom Penh; another 5 hours Phnom Penh-Siem Riep) the bus stopped in front of the National Museum.

The heavy rain that night didn't dampen my mood. After all, I was holed up in a 5-star accommodation at a hostel price (Siem Riep Hostel; USD 8.00/night dorm room). Did I mention there is an indoor swimming pool and every form of wholesome entertainment at each floor?!? and a USD 1.00 buffet breakfast of tropical fruits, cereal, toast and apple juice! Plus free use of bicycle! And it's just a 5-minute walk to Pub Street! A steal already! No wonder the hostel is voted as hostelworld.com's BEST HOSTEL!

My tuk-tuk driver, Samuel, whom I hired to bring me to the hostel from the bus stop at USD 1.00 offered to take me to the Angkor Wat Archeological Complex at USD 8.00 motorcyle only (or add another USD 2.00 if I prefer tuk-tuk).



Of course, first to tick on the list is to see Angkor by sunrise (1 day pass at USD20.00).



Everything happened smoothly as planned except that by 10:00AM, my camera's battery went poof! Drained! And I was barely half-way through the whole complex! To make the story short, I asked Samuel the driver, to just show me around and bring me back to my hostel so I could recharge the battery and pretty much, I would be on my own until sunset in Angkor.





Here goes the photos because there are experiences
which are better left in wordlessness.







But wait, last hirit. Prepare yourself as you enter the South Gate. It's spine tingling!


7 comments:

  1. Hmm... Phnom Penh seems nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was more on archeological mode during the trip and dislike the idea of seeing whatever reminds me of genocide during the khmer rouge. so, i shunned away from phnom pehn. no regrets.

    Siem Riep is such a very beautiful little town. Pub Street, the river that runs through it. Lovely! Besides, I felt a strange affinity with Angkor Archeological complex. HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies. I meant Siem Reap.
    Yeah, I guess I'd like it more than HCMC...

    ReplyDelete
  4. tsada au. u have an artist's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, my dream destination. I was supposed to go to Thailand today then commute to Cambodia. I also booked for 2 nights at the Villa Siem Reap. But I had to cancel everything, and move the trip to January. Now that you mentioned Siem Reap Hostel, I'll research about that place. Could you PM me if they have an email address?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete