Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Georgetown & Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia




Part of this backpacking trip, it appeared to me, was getting lost. So, the none inclusion of maps in my backpack was done on purpose. For the most part, intuition played the meaty role. Call it inefficiency, I call it adventure.

The International Express Train (cost: about a thousand baht/second class) that left Bangkok at two forty five in the afternoon arrived Butterworth Station in Penang, Malaysia way past lunchtime the next day.

I just followed the herd up the ramp until they queued in front of a sole booth exchanging ringgit bills to coins. I had no idea where it was heading but I still had my paper bill changed and put in the amount, crossed another ramp, chose the ferry's starboard side and seated in the front row. In less than 30 minutes, the ferry docked near a marina that looked from afar, basing from the moored yachts, as playground of the moneyed lot.

I just guessed that the train or bus station could be a few blocks away from the port. I walked and walked under the midday sun and as soon as I started to feel lost amid Chinese temples and rows and rows of shops, I began to ask for directions. Rather, I began to ask where on Penang is the bus or train station for Kuala Lumpur is located. Everytime I asked a local, he or she either looked perplexed or disinterested if at all. I hollered inside my head "this is the UNfriendliest place I've visited so far!"

I walked and walked, sweat and all, until I retraced my way back to the wharf. A signage read: train tickets for Kuala Lumpur. Only after I purchased the ticket did I realise that there never is a train or a bus station for KL on this island! It's at the other island where I first got off and kissed the Malaysian soil. So, this is Georgetown! A UNESCO World Heritage Site. No wonder the buildings look well-restored. And the whole city is a thriving, living museum.

I hopped on the free bus and explored the city in airconditioned comfort. I had 6 hours to burn, enough time to see what this loverly little town has to offer.



Truly charming east-west architecture. I fell head over heels in love with Georgetown (and MELAKA, in BIG BOLD letters, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites). Both places have picture perfect angles. Every corner, every side street, every back alley, every nook and cranny seems to have a story to tell.







NEXT STOP: Kuala Lumpur!





The train left around eight that evening and it seemed to be filled to capacity. I found my cot inside the fifth couch, drew my curtains, pulled my sheets and slept. I was awaken by an announcement that "this is @#$%^& station..." I asked one passenger standing by the alley if KL Central is next. The answer: still many stations away. I asked my final question: if the last stop of the train is Central but the answer is nope. So, I should stay awake lest I go past the station and end up in Kota Kinabalu or Jakarta! Just kidding.

As soon as the train's PA system announced "KL Central," I got my backpack and off I went up the escalator, asked where the shower room is, took a shower and hopped on the train for KLCC where the Petronas stop is located.

Visiting the Petronas viewing deck doesn't cost you a thing but you have to be there early. Time check: six thirty in the morning. And the queue for the Petronas Twin Towers Skybridge visit was a tad too long already. After waiting in line together with every representative of human race--Indian, Britons, Americans, Koreans, Japs, ad infinitum, I got my ticket for the 9:15 schedule. Soon after the routine security check and 'tambay tambay' at the lounge, my group was called to take the elevator, and in a zoom, we were already in the skybridge and was given 15 minutes to plant the bubblegum explosives, I mean, see the KL skyline from the skybridge.

After lunch, everything was all set for MELAKA! An album solely for this heritage city was posted earlier. Just proves that it is the hands-down winner.

8 comments:

  1. I'm always wondering if you are alone in this trip. Hehehehe. (Unless you have a tripod)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 10-person production crew courtesy of national geographic travel channel sir. hihihi. and this shot is from the magic and drama called self-timer and reenactment respectively. hihi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mangaplay nya ko sir. Stunt man lang. Hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  4. mao diay katunga ra ang tower... perti nimong edit noh?

    ReplyDelete